Nov 25, 2012

Project: Ring Light


This is just I project I thought I should do to fix my lighting issues from my recent videos. I did some research and found some good ideas however, most of them are used for photography or if not, materials are very expensive and I will be needing guys to help me set it up.


I tried to find some materials that can easily be found, cheap but sturdy and easy to assemble.  The materials I use to build my own Ring Light are the following:
1. Round wood/straw. I want something big that can occupy enough space to lighten-up my face and with a circumference that can accommodate my videocam/dslr. I got at our local market (palengke) selling some wooden/ratan items. This is basically a hoop that is use for cross stitching and it comes with various sizes.

2. LED Christmas light. This is basically a flat LED rope which I bought in 168 Mall in Divisoria for Php110.00 per meter. You can ask them to set it up as a still light instead of the blinking ones.

3. Scotch Tape. I know it sounds very lazy but this is the best option I could think of to hold the LED rope into the hoop. I tried using the Glue stick but the heat pass through the thick, clear rubber cover of the LED rope and burned the wires. Good think that LED wires are really safe (I think..) and I can still be use the rest of the LED rope that was not burned. You can also use a super glue but clear scotch tape will be the cheapest option.

4. Wood and nail, I tried to look around our backyard for a small piece of wood that I can use as a stand for my hoop and I was lucky! I just a sand paper to smooth-out the edges and slides of the wood! Get your hoop ready and nail it to the wood.

5. Optional: Nutt. If you wish attach the ring light to a tripod, you will need a nutt to screw that tripod in the stand of your ring light.

That's it! Very simple and cheap materials that made my Ring Light! I do hope this is helpful and let me know what  your thoughts are. Thanks!